The Nave (West End)
The west end of the nave, just in front of the tower arch, is the best place to view the whole of the interior of the church. The tower arch is located at the west end of the nave, and beyond it the west window filled with clear glass to illuminate the nave.
The west doors were intended to be used only on special occasions such as the visit of the bishop. The Nave The nave itself is of five bays with octagonal piers and capitals. Pugin was particularly pleased with the way in which the carving of the foliated capitals was executed. Each one is different, and Pugin considered them equal to those at York Minster. They are richly gilt, as are the lion-masks in the spandrels.
The piers, arch mouldings and upper walls are entirely covered with stencilling, a feature which was not a part of the original scheme, but one of the many alterations and additions which took place as the building progressed. The nave is furnished with open benches made of elm from Lord Shrewsbury's estate. Local timer was also used for the trusses with pierced tracery, and wind-braces, all painted.
The chandeliers that currently hang in the nave were made from iron in the 1980's. They replaced four brass and enamel coronae lucis made by Hardmans of Birmingham in 1845.