Sat. for Sunday 5.00pm.
Saturday 10.15 to 11am.
St Thomas' (Tean)
Holy days 6pm
Confessions Saturday 5pm
Exterior of the Church
Dominating the town of Cheadle, the 200-foot, heaven-pointing spire can be seen for miles around. The tower contains a ring of eight bells, of which 6 are still the original casts made back in 1846 by Thomas Mears of Whitechapel.
At the foot of the tower are the west doors, the gilded iron fittings of which are elaborated into two rampant lions - a device taken directly from the Shrewsbury coat-of-arms.
Other allusions to the family are to be found in the lion masks in the stonework of the Talbot hounds, and a the small kneeling figure of John Talbot, sixteenth Earl of Shrewsbury with his patron saint, John the Baptist, presenting a model of the church to St. Giles. Externally, the different parts of the building are delineated - as Pugin believed they should be - by their different roof levels: nave, porches, aisles, sacristies, chancel and Blessed Sacrament Chapel, the latter being made even more prominent by its separate gable and additional weathering, and - at the junction with the aisle - a large buttress with a niche containing a figure of the Risen Christ. Pugin stressed the importance of the churchyard as a hallowed resting-place for the dead, and as a place where the living might be moved to pray for the departed.
The burial-ground should be marked by a stone cross on the south-west side of the church, and Pugin made sure that St. Giles had a particularly fine one. Three other buildings were designed by Pugin in conjunction with St. Giles. They are the convent of St. Joseph (now privately owned) adjoining the church-yard on the south-west side, St. Giles' School to the south-east, and in Chapel Street the former Presbytery developed out of an existing building. All are brick with a stone trim.